Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year Award Program
March 21, 2013 9:59:48 AM PDT
Learn about the Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year Award Program and how to nominate someone.
The Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year Award Program recognizes Professional and Support Staff career employees who make exceptional contributions to the UCSD and San Diego communities. All members of the campus community are encouraged to nominate staff colleagues who deserve this special acknowledgment.
Note: The nomination period is closed. Award recipients will be announced in early May.
- Nominees must be career, Professional and Support Staff (PSS), and may be represented or non-represented staff. Senior Management Group (SMG), Managers and Senior Professionals (MSP), and academics are not eligible to be nominated for this program. However, they are encouraged to nominate and/or endorse PSS employees.
- Nominees must have completed a probationary period, if required.
- Above Expectation or Exceptional performance appraisal ratings, as well as Above Expectation or Exceptional performance of all assigned job duties, is necessary to be considered for an award.
- Nominees must demonstrate exemplary performance of activities that are above and beyond the scope of assigned responsibilities.
- Nominations must include a supporting narrative which focuses on accomplishments achieved during the prior three years (2010-2012). Nominations without the narrative will not be considered.
- Past award recipients should not be nominated.
- Supporting university practices, procedures and policies
- Bringing about significant positive change in support of the university’s mission
- Eliminating obstacles to achieving the university’s mission
- Innovation and proactive leadership
- Utilizing highly effective practices to inspire and lead others to contribute constructively to the university’s mission
- Proactively identifying and resolving challenges that interfere with department/division/unit activities to further the university’s mission
- Extraordinary service to community
- Supporting the campus and/or the San Diego community in ways that exceed expectations and result in unexpected positive outcomes that support the university’s mission
- Substantial cost-effectiveness
- Identify improvements to policies, practices and/or program designs that result in substantial cost savings or financial gain to the university while supporting the university’s mission
- Building relationships/partnerships
- Developing and utilizing strong, constructive, and productive relationships that enable the goals to be met in support of the university’s mission
- Improving department/division/unit morale through actions not related to job expectations
- Each nomination must have a principal nominator and 2 endorsements.
- An individual may serve as a principal nominator for only 1 nomination; however, a principal nominator may endorse other nominations.
- All multiple nominations submitted by a single principal nominator will be invalidated.
- Nominating materials will not be returned.
- Nominate only one employee on each nomination form.
- Narrative statements should not exceed one page, page margins should be at least one inch, and font should be Arial, 10 pt. Supplemental materials will not be considered.
A review panel of representatives chosen by their respective vice chancellors and the chief executive officer of hospitals evaluates all eligible nominations and recommends 10 award recipients to Chancellor Pradeep Khosla. The award recipients are recognized as follows:
- Cash awards (subject to budgetary approval)
- Ceremony: This year's ceremony is at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, May 8, 2013, at the Faculty Club.
- Plaque: Human Resources displays a perpetual plaque with the names of the award recipients in its reception area.
- Review the guidelines and read these FAQs (PDF).
- Download and complete the nomination form (Word file or PDF).
- Submit nomination form by 5 p.m. on Monday, March 18, 2013, by one of the following methods:
- E-mail (preferred):
- The principal nominator e-mails the completed form to email@example.com.
- The principal nominator must copy (cc:) each endorser on the e-mail submission. This serves as electronic confirmations in lieu of the written signatures.
- Internal mail to:
- UCSD EOY Program
Torrey Pines Center South, Suite 265-A
Mail Code 0922
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Publish information in an internal newsletter or e-mail.
- Discuss the awards and nomination process at staff meetings.
- Schedule Work/Life staff to give a short presentation. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 534-4115.
For more information, contact Work/Life
, (858) 534-4115.
Notice: The information on this page summarizes provisions of university policies and/or collective
bargaining agreements. Refer to the Personnel Policies for Staff
Members (PPSM) or applicable collective bargaining
agreement for full text of referenced information.