Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year Award Program
Last Updated: March 15, 2017 4:16:57 PM PDT
Learn about the Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year Award Program and how to nominate someone.
The Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year Award Program recognizes Professional and Support Staff career employees who make exceptional contributions to the UCSD and San Diego communities in support of the vision to be a "student-centered, research-focused, service-oriented public university." All members of the campus community are encouraged to nominate staff colleagues who deserve this special acknowledgment.
Note: The nomination period is open. All nominations must be completed by Sunday, March 19, 2017.
- Nominees must be current regular/career, Professional and Support Staff (PSS), and may be represented or non-represented staff. Senior Management Group (SMG), Managers and Senior Professionals (MSP), and academics are not eligible to be nominated for this program. However, they are encouraged to nominate and/or endorse PSS employees.
- Nominees must have completed a probationary period, if required.
- Above Expectation or Exceptional performance appraisal ratings, as well as Above Expectation or Exceptional performance of all assigned job duties, is necessary to be considered for an award.
- Nominees must demonstrate exemplary performance of activities that are above and beyond the scope of assigned responsibilities.
- Nominations must include a supporting narrative which focuses on accomplishments achieved during the prior three years (2013-2016). Nominations without the narrative will not be considered.
- Past award recipients are not eligible for the program. Past nominees who did not receive an award may be nominated again.
Nominations do not need to exemplify all five standards. Nominations can focus on one or more than one of the five standards.
Innovation and proactive leadership
- Developing and utilizing strong, constructive and productive relationships that enable the goals to be met in support of the University’s mission.
- Improving department/division/unit morale through actions not related to job expectations.
- Examples: establishing and fostering relationships with members of UC community and San Diego community that support the University’s mission and vision; taking the lead in improving morale, engagement and the student/employee experience; and creating strategic partnerships that increase efficiencies.
- Past Awardee Example: Lindsay Walton, Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year for 2014-15, received high praise from her colleagues in the Structural System Facility. As the Faculty Assistant for the department, Lindsay made sure to treat all faculty, staff and students as family, making sure to be aware of their cultural preferences. She was able to build long lasting relationships with everyone that she works with, making her effective & exemplary in her department.
Support university practices, procedures and policies
- Bringing about significant positive change in support of the University’s mission
- Eliminating obstacles to achieving the University’s mission.
- Examples: revising processes to reduce administrative burden; implementing new policies to support students or research; and creating new practices that improve staff engagement.
- Past Awardee Example: Jennifer Oh, Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year for 2011-12, was recognized for her implementation of bargaining contracts for Postdoctoral Scholars in the U.S., sharing her career development expertise to different administrative departments in UCSD and launching Research Connections for postdoctoral alumni. Her new ideas to utilize university practices and procedures to its best capacity gave her worthy recognition.
Extraordinary service to community
- Supporting the campus and/or the San Diego community in ways that exceed expectations and result in unexpected positive outcomes that support the University’s mission.
- Examples: serving on UC committees or associations to bring about positive changes to the organization; connecting students with community groups to give students experiences and hopefully create a volunteer spirit; building relationships with community organizations to promote the University’s mission.
- Past Awardee Example: Angel Huerta, 2014-15’s Principal Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year was recognized because of this service in the ECEC community beyond his position as a Senior Food Service Worker. Angel created lasting relationships with the children and families at the center, by volunteering and assisting at ECEC events outside of his position as a Senior Food Service Worker. Angel’s service for the ECEC community goes above and beyond, which was highly recognized last year.
- Identify improvements to policies, practices, and/or program designs that result in substantial cost saving or financial gain to the University while supporting the University’s mission.
- Examples: improving administrative processes to increase efficiency; developing new practices/systems/tools to reduce expenses;and creating opportunities to ensure financial sustainability.
- Past Awardee Example: Kathleen Margenau, Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year in 2011-12, was able to modernize Business Offices with her creation of a wiki site that was a central site for all administrative tools and reference materials transformed how the Business Office operated. She also implemented electronic filing protocols and procedures that was immensely cost-effective for the Business Office, helping cover costs for the university as a whole. Kathleen’s financial problem-solving skills were utilized not just in UCSD but also outside in the greater San Diego community.
A review panel of representatives chosen by their respective vice chancellors and the chief executive officer of hospitals evaluates all eligible nominations and recommends 10 award recipients to Chancellor Pradeep Khosla. The award recipients are recognized as follows:
- Cash awards (subject to budgetary approval)
- Ceremony: This year, all nominees and nominators will be invited to attend the ceremony which is scheduled for Monday, May 22, 2017, at 3:00 p.m. at the Price Center East Ballroom
- Plaque: Human Resources displays a perpetual plaque with the names of the award recipients in its reception area.
New for 2016-17: We now have an online nomination portal where nominators will submit the nominee's information and narrative and the EOY Portal will route for supervisor and department head approval. Please contact us if you have any questions or problems.
- Review the guidelines and criteria (PDF).
- Submit nomination form on the EOY Portal by 5 p.m. on Sunday, March 19, 2017:
- The nominator must know the nominee's supervisor and department head.
- Nomination narratives should be no longer than 700 words. Before submitting via the EOY Portal, we recommend you compose the narrative using Word document and copy the narrative into the text box on the nomination form.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Publish information in an internal newsletter or email.
- Discuss the awards and nomination process at staff meetings.
- Schedule Work/Life staff to give a short presentation. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 534-4115.
Join us for a webinar to share information about the Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year Nomination criteria and submission process.
- Fri, Feb 17, 2017, 9:00 a.m.
- Wed, Feb 22, 2017, 11:00 a.m.
- Tues, Mar 7, 2017, 11:00 a.m.
Registraion is not required. Use the link below on the meeting date/time.
Join URL: https://ucsd.zoom.us/my/ac49659
For more information, contact Work/Life
, or (858) 534-4115.
This page has a friendly link that's easy to remember: http://blink.ucsd.edu/go/exemplary
The information on this page summarizes provisions of university policies and/or collective bargaining agreements. Refer to the Personnel Policies for Staff Members
(PPSM) and local implementing procedures
or applicable collective bargaining agreement
for full text of referenced information.