Animal Use Protocol
Before starting the process, read through these pages. Especially:
- The Top 10 Things You Must Know to Care for and Use Animals at UCSD
- Principal Investigator Responsibilities
- Policy 22.04 Eligibility for Principal and Secondary Investigator (PDF) to make sure you meet the requirements as a principal investigator
- Registration Guide for New Animal Researchers
These are the steps you (and in some cases your staff) will need to take before you can import animals from your old institution, order new animals, or begin your studies.
1) Access the IACUC and ACP databases
Log into the Animal Protocol System website using your UCSD Business Systems account to be added to the IACUC and ACP database(s).
2) Meet with ACP staff
If you have not already met with the Animal Care Program (ACP) staff before accepting your appointment, please schedule an appointment as soon as possible to arrange housing, equipment, vivarium space, etc., for your animals. We suggest you contact them immediately as vivarium space is tight, and the more lead time ACP has, the sooner you can proceed with your study after your protocol is approved. The ACP website is http://animalcare.ucsd.edu and the main office number is 858-534-4262.
3) Submit Your Online Personnel Qualifications
Before you can enter an animal facility, you and your staff must each submit your online Personnel Qualifications form with your training and experience specific to the animal species on your protocol(s). You will receive instructions for submitting your PQ form once you have met with ACP staff (above) and received an email from our office.
4) Attend Orientation to Animal Research
Before vivarium access can be granted, you and your staff must complete the mandatory online "Orientation to Animal Research" course. Register at https://animalcare.ucsd.edu/pages/training/index.html. (You will need to use your Business Systems account to register for the class).