When describing the UCSD work environment, employees often use adjectives like stimulating, challenging, motivating, and energetic. As one of the largest employers in San Diego, the university is a catalyst for progressive change, innovation, and entrepreneurism. The excellent teaching, research, patient care, and public service that characterize the university's mission requires extraordinary people.
Achieving individual and collective excellence means that our organization must recruit and develop top talent, foster teamwork, and build and develop new successes.
Read supplemental information (PPT) about these efforts. We believe that each of the following areas also significantly influences the quality of the work environment at UCSD:
- The culture at UCSD is a unique blend of the physical environment, UCSD's international reputation, and strong leadership that serve to attract, motivate, and retain a high caliber workforce.
- At UCSD, world-class scholars and scientists work side by side with highly talented staff.
- Employees grow and develop in a culture that is distinguished by its high-tech environment and community-based orientation. Numerous opportunities exist for employees to become involved in UCSD community life.
SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT
- UCSD recognizes that the retention of employees requires special attention to the needs of a highly selective workforce. The University's exceptional benefits package and progressive programs such as the on-site Early Childhood Education Center, health care facilitation services, employee counseling, conflict mediation, referral services, recreational facilities, and classes at the aquatics center, Grove Arts Center, and Scripps Institution of Oceanography Aquarium help make UCSD a special place to work.
- More than 200 courses and programs support professional development and personal growth. Additionally, learning opportunities have been made convenient through desktop computers. These self-directed learning opportunities may be accessed at work through the campus network, or from the employee's home or remote sites.
- As part of its commitment to cutting-edge technology, UCSD helps employees integrate rapidly evolving technologies into their work as well as supporting financial and business systems through hands-on training in dedicated information technology training centers.
- To serve the critical lifelong knowledge and skill development needs of individuals, organizations, and the community, UCSD Extended Studies and Public Programs offer continuing education and degree-related programs.
- The University encourages participation in continuous learning and degree programs by providing a "reduced fee enrollment" benefit or a discount on regular UCSD courses, Extended Studies and Summer Session courses.
- An annual survey measures employee satisfaction, and is used to help to ensure a positive and productive work environment.
- Many UCSD employees have served the University for a significant number of years. This service is recognized each year at the Service Awards Ceremony.
- UCSD is environmentally and ergonomically sound. Employees can be assured that state-of-the-art technology is available to them.
- UCSD is a place where the brightest minds are supported by a leadership commitment aimed at providing a supportive work environment.
FAIRNESS, EQUALITY AND DIVERSITY
- To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UCSD strives to maintain a climate of fairness, cooperation, and professionalism where our members are expected to practice the UCSD Principles of Community.
- Working together and communicating effectively in our culturally diverse environment are essential to our mission and reflect an institutional priority.
- UCSD is committed to diversity and understanding and valuing people of all cultures.
- Communication is critical to UCSD's success in melding the tremendously diverse efforts of its faculty and staff in delivering its teaching and research missions.
- UCSD has developed a strong reliance on electronic technology to support its overall communication efforts. A key example is UCSD's Business Link (Blink), a Web-based portal that provides easy, intuitive access to information on conducting business at the University.
- In addition, a variety of publications provide important information on a regular basis at UCSD. "This Week at UCSD" is distributed electronically each week and covers campus news and allows UCSD leadership to reach out further to faculty and staff.
- UCSD is one of the few employers that can boast of having its own television station. UCSD-TV is another tool for communicating UCSD programs and other programs of public interest.
Please let us know how you're feeling about your work experience at UCSD. The Human Resources Department is here to serve you. Your feedback is always valued as we seek to continually improve upon our services and support the excellence that is UCSD.Thomas R. Leet
Assistant Vice Chancellor