Adeno-associated virus and AAV vectors may be handled at Biosafety Level 1 (BSL-1) and Animal Biosafety Level 1 (ABSL-1) when they are:
- Made in the absence of helper virus (such as Adenovirus and Herpes virus)
- Used in the absence of any Risk Group 2 material
- Free of any hazardous transgenes (such as an oncogene, toxin, shRNA from tumor suppressors, etc.)
These conditions apply:
- Do not manipulate AAV in a biological safety cabinet at the same time as Risk Group 2 materials.
- Decontaminate work areas before and after use.
- If experiments with AAV also include Risk Group 2 materials or hazardous transgenes, BSL‐2 and ABSL‐2 containment rules apply.
- Work in animals:
- For previously approved projects using AAV, a meeting with the Vivarium Safety Officer, (858) 534-6715, is required prior to changing existing animal housing requirements.
- For new projects using AAV, list AAV as a hazard in section 8 of the animal use protocol.