In order to achieve our strategic goals, we must equip our managers and staff to be successful in a new environment through professional development opportunities that reinforce solution-oriented thinking, realign performance metrics, and reward smart risk-taking. In addition, we must ensure that potential efficiencies positively impact our UC San Diego mission and advance our strategic objectives.
PurposeThe purpose of the Standing Committee on Service and People Oriented Administrative Culture (SC-SPOC) is to be a bridge to leadership; a network for faculty, researchers and staff; and a radar for campus.
A Bridge to Leadership: SC-SPOC will recommend to the Chancellor the support of bold, unprecedented solutions that have been vetted and have strong potential to create administrative improvements and efficiencies, which are key to fulfilling objectives under Goal 5 of the Strategic Plan.
A Network for Faculty, Researchers, and Staff: SC-SPOC will provide a forum that connects key stakeholders from across campus who are interested in implementing innovative process improvements, but may require greater partnerships to develop project plans, take action, or accelerate progress – for example, collaborative and strategic partnerships that cross Vice Chancellor areas, or campus-wide input via sponsored IdeaWave campaigns.
A Radar for Campus: SC-SPOC will track the impact of committee-supported initiatives as it relates to a commitment to service and people, and communicate this impact to the community in order to promote service and people-oriented decision-making as a part of the UC San Diego culture.
By supporting collaborative, bold initiatives that improve administrative effectiveness, the campus continues to define itself as a model public university.
- A high-level, cross-functional perspective on critical issues, opportunities, and unique capabilities and programs that will positively impact the attainment of a service- and people-oriented culture on campus.
- An objective perspective that drives a balance of administrative and operational efficiency with service delivery in support of UC San Diego’s mission, and validation that this is accomplished.
- Guidance on the initial screening criteria for initiatives.
- Ongoing guidance and recommendations on initiative selection, prioritization, resource implications, and ongoing viability.
- Advice on specific issues and opportunities related to initiatives, and help facilitate a collaborative working relationship across the campus.