The Office of Contract and Grant Administration (OCGA) serves our valued research community with high quality expertise in support of sponsored research proposal and award administration. We commit to deliver timely, effective, and welcoming services through personal interactions and automated processes, and to ensure that UC San Diego's contract and grant process is best in class.
Phone: (858) 534-3330
Fax: (858) 534-0280
Office of Contract and Grant Administration
University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive, Mail Code 0934
La Jolla, California 92093-0934
For shipping address click on Directions link above.
Monday–Friday, 8 am–4:30 pm
Contract & Grant officers act as UCSD’s institutional officials in the review and submission of proposals to extramural sponsors for research, training, public service and other projects.
C&G officers confirm that all agency guidelines have been addressed in the proposal and verify that all appropriate budget costs have been included and justified.
Furthermore, OCGA ensures that each proposal meets institutional compliance with federal and state regulations, sponsor policy and university policy.
C&G officers work with principal investigators and department/ORU staff to review and process post-submission proposal actions, such as budget modifications and other sponsor requests.
Contract & Grant officers negotiate and accept awards on behalf of The Regents. C&G officers review the terms and conditions of each funding agreement to safeguard academic freedom, mitigate financial and other types of risks and ensure they are consistent with the research policies of the University.
OCGA coordinates pre-award and post award non-accounting actions requiring institutional or sponsor prior approval, including no-cost extensions, carry-forward requests and PI changes or transfers.
C&G officers work with sponsors to resolve problems related to awards. OCGA provides assistance and endorsement (when necessary) with award closeouts.
Contract & Grant officers draft, negotiate and execute agreements that govern the exchange of materials for use in research. These Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs) set forth the rights of the providers and recipients to use materials, and often address issues such as publication, intellectual property, and rights in data.
For more information see the Material Transfer Agreements website at mta.ucsd.edu.
OCGA officers draft, negotiate and execute various other agreements related to UCSD proposals and awards including data use/access agreements, equipment loan agreements, software agreements, memorandums of understanding, and confidentiality/nondisclosure agreements.
- Office of Contract and Grant Administration (OCGA): Responsible for all proposals and awards from General Campus and Health Sciences researchers, with the exception of NIH/AHRQ grant and subaward grant proposals from Health Sciences department/ORUs.
- Health Sciences Sponsored Project Pre-Award Office (HSSPPO): Responsible for NIH/AHRQ grant and subaward grant proposals from Health Sciences departments/ORUs.
- Health Sciences Only: Proposal and Award Central Office assignments (PDF) for Health Sciences Units.
- Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO) Contract and Grant Office: Responsible for proposals and awards for all SIO researchers.
- Office of Clinical Trial Administration (OCTA): Responsible for all industry initiated clinical trial agreements.