About the link shortener
You can use the link shortener to shorten, share and measure links to UC San Diego web pages that end with:
The link shortener is powered by bitly and will generate a consistent link in the form go.ucsd.edu/xxx. If you forget or lose the shortened URL you created, you can simply enter the original URL into the link shortener to get the same go.ucsd.edu short link.
- Use your browser to navigate to the UC San Diego web page that you want to shorten.
- Copy the URL of the page. Example: http://blink.ucsd.edu/instructors/resources/academic/index.html
- Go to the link shortener at shortlink.ucsd.edu.
- Paste the URL into the field and click Shorten.
- The link shortner will generate a go.ucsd.edu link. Example: http://go.ucsd.edu/1L0qo1U
If you see the message: Invalid URL. Only UCSD domains are allowed, check to make sure you are using one of the accepted UCSD domains. If you are using a UC San Diego page that you think should be accepted, contact Workplace Technology Services.
- Copy the shortened link and test it in your own browser before sharing it. If the link does not lead to the page you expect, try shortening the link again, taking care that there are no extra spaces at the end of the URL.
- Paste the shortened link in your email or document and share with your colleagues or customers.
- See how many times your go.ucsd.edu link has been used by typing the link followed by a plus sign (+) into your web browser. Ex: http://go.ucsd.edu/1L0qo1U+
- You will be taken to a bitly page that will display the total number of clicks on your link. If you log in with a free bitly account, you can see more detailed information, such as number of clicks per day.
Customized short URLs are not available through go.ucsd.edu. If you need a customized short URL or "friendly link," you can request one through Workplace Technology Services (Example: http://blink.ucsd.edu/go/academiccalendars).