UC San Diego is committed to taking positive steps to assist employees with disabilities or medical conditions that could lead to disability at no cost. All disability and rehabilitation services and programs are confidential and free.
DisAbility Counseling and Consulting
- Works with employee and supervisor to Identify job accommodations for people with disabilities
- Assists employees who have medical conditions that interfere with their ability to work
- Provides training and assistance on designing work activities to prevent impairment
- Coordinates access accommodation for faculty, staff, and visitors
All UC San Diego campus funded employees, including staff and faculty, who have a medical condition or a disability that prevents them from performing some or all of their job duties are eligible for assistance from DisAbility Counseling and Consulting. Supervisors of employees with disabilities are eligible for confidential disability management consultations. Campus visitors with disabilities may be eligible for access accommodation coordination.
Confidential disability counseling and consulting services are available from DisAbility Counseling and Consulting weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or by appointment.
UC San Diego's DisAbility Counseling and Consulting and for Health System funded staff includes:
- Assistance in identifying job accommodation options
- Consultation with supervisors regarding job accommodations, and state/federal compliance
- Enhancement of communication among supervisors, employees, physicians, benefit resources, and other specialists
- Rehabilitation planning and case management related to industrial disabilities once they are permanent and stationary and non-industrial disabilities
- Return-to-work services
- Comparative analysis of medical restrictions and job requirements
- Career and personal counseling for people with disabilities
- Job analysis
- Workstation evaluation
- Training classes
- Confidential counseling, and rehabilitation resource identification
- Consultations and referrals for fitness-for-duty evaluations
- Medical separation reviews
- Assistance in selecting speech recognition software
- Assistance to campuswide events, trainings or activity sponsors in arranging for American Sign Language interpretation, real-time or closed (post) captioning coordination services for faculty, staff, and visitors
See Policies for Disabilities and Rehabilitation.