Skip to main content
Blink

System Status: 

Mandell Weiss Theatre Shop

Mandell Weiss Theatre

About named building

The Mandell Weiss Center for the Performing Arts is located in the theatre district and is shared by the award-winning La Jolla Playhouse and the UC San Diego department of theatre and dance. The building has an assignable area of 11,251 square feet and three floors, including a tap room floor. The Center is named in honor of Mandell Weiss who generously contributed $1.14 million to help build the theatre. Weiss emigrated from Romania and settled in San Diego in 1923, intending to pursue his passion for theatre. Although he did not make it as an actor, his success in business enabled him to give back to the arts and the San Diego community. Not only did Weiss contribute financially to the Playhouse, he also attended every opening night and served on the Board of Trustees of the Playhouse. Occupied in March of 1982, the Mandell Weiss Center was the first La Jolla Playhouse theatre and opened with the premiere of Peter Sellar's production of Bertolt Brecht's WWII-set play The Visions of Simone Machard. The 492-seat proscenium arch theatre has two rows of removable seats, allowing for an expanded stage length. In addition, there is an upstairs wooden deck for receptions and gatherings as well as a small outdoor amphitheatre for pre-show entertainment.

Details

Naming Type: Other
Building Location: Theatre District
Date Constructed: January 1, 1983
Predominant Use: General use
Floors or Levels: 3 Floors
Other Names:

Theatre Shop - Mandell Weiss Theatre
Weiss Theater Shop - Mandell

Map

For more information about naming schools, facilities and programs at UC San Diego, please contact Donor and Fund Stewardship.