Making Ethical Decisions: Things to Ask Yourself
Last Updated: February 25, 2014 10:01:15 AM PST
Before making a difficult decision, consider asking yourself the following questions to see if you are on ethical "thin ice."
- Does your decision conflict with any of the core ethical values?
- Think of someone whose moral judgment you respect. What would that person do?
- How will your decision affect others?
- Ask yourself: Are my actions legal?
- Are there regulations, rules, or policies that restrict your choices/ actions?
- Would your decision be perceived as unethical?
- How would your decision look if it were reported on the news or in another public forum?
- What would a reasonable person do? How would they percieve your decision?
- Would you be proud of your choice if your child were to find out? Would you want them to make the same choice?
- Could you rationally and honestly defend your decision?
- Will you sleep soundly tonight?
Copyright 2000 Josephson Institute of Ethics