Rental car reimbursement is for up to an intermediate-size model unless a no-cost upgrade is provided. An expense for upgrading, including to obtain built-in GPS, is generally not eligible for reimbursement.
- If a traveler is unfamiliar with the location of travel, an expense for hand-held or uninstalled GPS may be eligible for reimbursement. This must be documented in the Notes field on the Ground Tab in MyTravel.
To contain expenses, return the rental car with specified amount of gas in the tank so that refueling by the agency is not required. If necessary, an expense for refueling may be eligible for reimbursement when using a rental agency with a UC agreement. Not to exceed $1.50 per gallon plus the location’s average retail gas price per gallon at the time of rental.
when renting using a UC agreement (Connexxus) which generally includes Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and liability insurance. Rental car insurance can be reimbursed only under special circumstances
Regardless of the process used to make the reservation, provide your Travel Card or personal credit card as payment.
Note: UC employees and students are restricted from renting 15-passenger vans for business travel due to safety concerns.
- To reserve online, use Connexxus, the preferred method, as the agreements are automatically applied.
- To reserve by phone:
- Call your selected agency (refer to Step 3 below for contact information).
- Confirm that you are renting a car for UCSD business travel and that you want the university rate.
- Provide the Agreement UCSD ID for the agency you have selected:
- Confirm that the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), also known as a Loss Damage Waiver (LDW), and liability insurance are included as provided by the UC Agreement. Decline any CDW or liability insurance coverage offered by the agency.
Note: If the type of travel requires a vehicle that is not covered by an agreement (such as some vans, trucks, and SUVs), then you may purchase collision damage coverage and be reimbursed after travel is over.
- Proceed to step 5.