UC San Diego SearchMenu

Using a Private Aircraft for UC San Diego Business Travel

Use this step-by-step guide to request a mileage reimbursement for a private aircraft used for UC San Diego business travel.

Expand all

1. Meet requirements before travel.

  • If you will use a private or rented aircraft, you must meet these requirements:
    • The pilot must register with and obtain approval from the campus director of risk management.
    • The pilot must have a valid, private pilot's license.
    • Your department's business office or administrator is responsible for checking the log before the pilot flies to verify that:
      • The pilot has logged at least 10 hours of flight time within the preceding 90 days as a pilot in command of an aircraft of the same make and model as the one used for the trip.
      • To carry passengers, the pilot has either a minimum of 500 hours of flight time as a licensed private pilot or a valid commercial pilot's license issued by the Federal Aviation Administration.
    • A current pilot history form and a certificate of insurance must be on file with the Risk Management Office.
    • Aviation liability insurance coverage must be in effect with a minimum combined limit of $1 million. The Regents must be named as the additional insured. Evidence of coverage must be provided to the Risk Management Office.

2. Preauthorize travel.

Use MyTravel to preauthorize travel and obtain a trip number.

3. Calculate the mileage reimbursement.

  • Find the mileage reimbursement rate for private aircraft mileage. Multiply the number of miles flown by the mileage rate to determine the amount of reimbursement due.
  • Note: The shortest air route from origin to destination should be used when calculating the number of miles flown.

4. Request reimbursement.

  • Log on to MyTravel
  • List the amount of mileage reimbursement in the Other expense section.
  • Indicate the following items in the Note section:
    • Private aircraft mileage
    • Number of miles flown
    • Reimbursement rate
    • Pilot license number

    Note: Landing and parking fees are also reimbursable expenses. If an expense is $75 or more, upload a copy of the receipt with the claim.

5. Check the status of your payment.

  • Log on to  MyTravel Query
  • Enter trip number (and any additional search criteria)
  • Click Submit
  • Review trip details

Expand all

Notice: UC San Diego travel policy, as published in Blink, is decisive. It has been adapted to UC San Diego's organization, delegation of authority, terminology, chart of accounts and processing applications. The source for UC San Diego travel policy is UC Travel Policy and Regulations (PDF).