UC San Diego SearchMenu

Arranging Payment for Move/Relocation Expenses

Follow these guidelines to arrange for payment of moving expenses for eligible new or transferring employees.

Expand all

1. Check if the person is eligible for payment of move/ transfer expenses.

  • Ensure eligibility for payment of move/relocation expenses.
  • Move/relocation expenses include reasonable costs of moving household goods and personal effects to a new residence, as well as transportation to the new residence.

2. Obtain approval.

  • Before making a commitment to the appointee/employee, obtain approval following the step-by-step instructions.

3. Review reimbursable expenses and taxable expenses.

4. Determine if the move includes household goods or lab equipment.

  • If the move includes household goods or lab equipment, policy requires the use of a UC San Diego contracted moving company.
  • If the move does not include household goods or lab equipment, proceed to Step 5.

5. Create a move trip in MyTravel and claim expenses.

Preauthorize the move in MyTravel,

  • Type of Trip: Select Move/ Transfer from the drop down menu.  Complete all necessary fields and attachments. Move approval is required.

Claim move expenses and authorize payment to the UC San Diego contracted moving company using MyTravel.

Expand all

Notice: Published UCSD policy is decisive as it has been adapted to UCSD's organization, delegation of authority, terminology, chart of accounts. The source for this policy is UC Policy and Regulations for MSP and PSS personnel (PDF) and Senior Management Group Moving Reimbursement (PDF).