Skip to main content

System Status: 

Travel & Entertainment Card: How to File a Claim for Rental Car Damage

Use these instructions to file a claim with the UC San Diego Travel & Entertainment Card provider when a rental car has been damaged while you are on business travel.

1. Contact the Visa Assistance Center immediately.

Report the claim to the Visa Assistance Center immediately after damage occurs (or within 45 days) by calling:

  • Within the U.S.: (800) 847-2911
  • Outside the U.S.: (410) 581-9994 (call collect)

Note: Be sure to obtain the reference number assigned to your claim for your records.

2. File a claim form.

You will receive a claim package in the mail after you report a claim.

  • Mail the completed claim form and accompanying documentation using the contact information provided or use the VISA Auto Rental CDW Claim Center to file your claim online. To access the VISA claim center visit VISA Card Benefits and scroll down to view/expand the 'Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver' section. 


  • The completed claim must be submitted within 90 calendar days from the accident, damage, or loss. Claims submitted after the 90-day period will not be considered for payment.
  • If some of the supporting documentation is unavailable, file the claim form and submit the documentation when it becomes available. All supporting documentation must be submitted within 6 months of the date of the accident or damage.
Find answers, request services, or get help from our team at the UC San Diego Services & Support portal.
Notice: UC San Diego travel policy, as published in Blink, is decisive. It has been adapted to UC San Diego's organization, delegation of authority, terminology, chart of accounts and processing applications. The source for UC San Diego travel policy is UC Travel Policy and Regulations (PDF).