UC San Diego SearchMenu

Cash Advances for UC San Diego Employees on Business Travel

Learn how employees can use the UC San Diego Travel Card for cash, and read guidelines for requesting a cash advance.

In the right place? See instructions for obtaining a cash advance for business travel of a non-UC San Diego employee.

Cash advances issued by UC San Diego Travel are limited to exceptional situations, especially for employees who are to use the Travel Card to access cash during authorized trips.

  • If a cash advance has been issued by Travel, it must be substantiated before making a new request.
  • All cash advances must be reconciled within 21 days after travel concludes.
  • A cash advance may not be requested as a means to reimburse a traveler for out-of-pocket expenses prior to trip completion and expense reconciliation.
  • Unsubstantiated cash advances are treated as taxable to the traveler.

Expand all

1. Determine the circumstances of travel.

  • Proceed to step 2 if travel is standard, and use your Travel Card to withdraw cash at an ATM.
  • Proceed to step 3 if one of the special circumstances applies.
    • Travel to a remote location: Request a cash advance from UC San Diego Travel if you are bound for a remote location where there may not be an ATM and the cash advance needs exceed the Travel Card limits.
    • New employee: Request a one-time cash advance for university business travel if you are leaving before your Travel Card application can be processed.

2. Obtain cash using the Travel Card.

  • Use your Travel Card, following the guidelines, to withdraw cash. You will use a personal identification number (PIN) for ATM transactions. A PIN is provided to each cardholder when the Travel Card is issued. For assistance, contact Travel Card customer service.
    • Travel Card cash limits:  If circumstances warrant an increase to the limit, provide a detailed explanation to the Travel Card Program Manager.
    • Travel Card withdrawal fees: A 2.5% transaction fee (minimum $2, maximum $10) applies to each ATM transaction. Request reimbursement for the fee when you complete MyTravel after completing your trip.
  • Proceed to step 5.

3. Request a cash advance from UC San Diego Travel.

  • Use MyTravel: Select Create Prepayment, complete the form using the event number created when travel was preauthorized.
  • If you do not have access to MyTravel, contact your department business office or administrator.

4. Check the status of your cash advance request.

  • You can view the status of your request in MyTravel, for a cash advance requested from Travel.
    • You can check the status of a cash advance obtained by Travel, not cash withdraws against the Travel Card.
    • Requests are processed by Travel beginning the day they are received. Please allow up to four working days for the payment to be issued.
    • A cash advance is issued not more than two weeks before the travel start date. If cash is issued via direct deposit, the bank may take up to 72 hours to process it.

5. Reconcile the cash advance.

  • Use  MyTravel, to reconcile a cash advance.
    • Travel Card:
      • Claim actual expenses paid using cash obtained from ATM, such as meals or taxi.
      • ATM fees are claimed on the Other Tab.
      • On the Review and Submit Tab, include the cash advance and fee amounts in the amount entered in Less Amount to pay traveler’s UCSD Travel Card.

      Note: For ATM withdraws in advance of a trip, use the Travel Card Prepayment option in MyTravel to request payment directly to your Travel Card.

    • Cash Advance issued for special circumstances;
      • MyTravel automatically deducts the cash that was advanced when you report expenses

Expand all

Notice: UC San Diego travel policy, as published in Blink, is decisive. It has been adapted to UC San Diego's organization, delegation of authority, terminology, chart of accounts and processing applications. The source for UC San Diego travel policy is UC Travel Policy and Regulations (PDF).