UC San Diego SearchMenu

Students of Concern: Tips & Resources for Instructional Assistants

Teaching and research assistants, find tips and resources for working with students of concern.

Training for graduate teaching and research assistants (TAs and RAs)

Support students beyond academics

If you are approached by a student who is experiencing emotional or psychological distress, it is important that you refer that person to the appropriate resource so that the student can get the support they need from a qualified professional.

To assist a student, be sensitive and use a non-confrontational approach to connect the student to counseling staff through Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at Galbraith Hall, Room 190 (phone: 858-534-3755). CAPS is a confidential resource to students who may be experiencing academic, emotional, personal, marital, familial or vocational problems. All services are included in the student’s fees. These services are also available to you as a graduate student.

If you are concerned about a student

If there is an imminent risk to health and safety, call 911 from any phone.

Some examples of safety risks include:

  • physical violence
  • high risk/ dangerous behavior
  • suicidal behavior
  • threats of violence to others

If there is not an imminent risk, call your supervisor to report the information. Your supervisor will be able to route the information to the appropriate college or department so that they can be connected with resources to help support them during their difficult time. Undergraduate students will be connected back to the college they are affiliated with, while graduate students will be connected with the Graduate Division office.

Find other tips and resources for interacting with a student of concern.