UC San Diego SearchMenu

How to Process a Special Payroll Entry

If you are NOT an employee's authorized timekeeper, you can still enter hours for an employee under some circumstances. Follow the instructions below to process a "special" payroll entry.

Note: You must complete the requirements for becoming a timekeeper before following the steps on this page.

Expand all

1. Make sure you meet the required criteria.

  • You can access an employee's time record only if you are an authorized timekeeper for that employee.
  • The Online Timekeeping system allows you to create a special entry if you meet the following criteria:
    • Your department is set up in PPS with home department access
    • Your department has a current or previous appointment on the employee's PPS data file.
  • If you have questions about access, check with the PPS contact in your department.

2. Log in to the Online Timekeeping system.

3. Select the pay cycle and your timekeeper code.

  • Go to the Timekeeper Select screen.
  • Select either the biweekly or monthly pay cycle. The current, active pay period will default as the selected choice in the window.
    Note: You may view prior pay period data by clicking the down arrow to the right of the window. Changes to a prior pay period must be made as an adjustment in the current pay period.
  • Select your timekeeper code from the list in the window.
  • Click the [Special] button.
  • The system will prompt you to enter the employee ID number or name in the Employee ID or Name field.

4. Enter the hours.

  • If you are authorized to enter hours for the employee, the system will display the employee's Detail Entry Screen.
    Note: If you receive a system message indicating that you are not authorized, check with the PPS contact in your department.
  • Select the correct distribution pay line.
  • Enter the hours in the correct field.

5. Update the entry.

  • Click the [Update] button to update the entry.
  • You will receive the message "Update Completed."

Expand all