UC San Diego SearchMenu

How to File an Express Card Dispute

Follow these instructions to file an Express Card dispute.

Expand all

1. When to file a dispute.

  • A dispute is filed for transactions that you have made. Common problems are: Billed for a different amount, duplicate billing, billed for merchandise you never received, or a credit not received.

2. Contact the merchant.

  • Contact the merchant to discuss the disputed item.
  • If you are unable to resolve the dispute with the merchant, proceed to Step 3.

3. File a dispute with U.S. Bank.

The cardholder can file a dispute with a U.S. Bank Customer Service Representative at 800-344-5696.

The cardholder can file a dispte online with U.S. Bank Access Online. The cardholder's Express Card must be registered with Access Online. Get information on registering your card.

  1. Log on to U.S. Bank Access Online.
  2. Click on Transaction Management.
  3. Click on Transaction List.
  4. Select the transaction at the left (you may have to search the previous billing cycle for the specific transaction to appear).
  5. Click on Dispute to initiate the dispute.
  6. Follow the prompts and submit the claim. The transaction status should reflect 'D'.

Note: The dispute must be reported within 60 days after the date on which the transaction posts to your account.

4. U.S. Bank opens an investigation.

U.S. Bank will conduct an investigation, normally within 30 days.

  • If resolution is in favor of the cardholder the amount of the disputed charge will be credited back to the account once the investigation is completed.
  • If resolution is in favor of the merchant the account will continue to be charged for the disputed amount.

Expand all