UC San Diego SearchMenu

How to Order and Distribute Scrip

Follow these steps to obtain and distribute scrip for paying participants in clinical trials.

Expand all

1. Obtain department authorization to use scrip.

  • As Scrip Coordinator, notify the fiscal administrator for your clinical trial that you will need scrip.

2. Request scrip.

Note: Scrip should only be requested once scheduling of participants has begun. The turnaround time for processing your request is approximately three to five days from the date that the MyPayments document is received by Disbursements for approval.

3. Pick up your issued scrip and scrip information packet.

  • Come to Disbursements to receive your scrip order:
    Torrey Pines Center South (map)
    10280 N. Torrey Pines Road, Suite 415
    La Jolla, CA 92037
    • Metered parking is available on level 1 of the parking garage.

4. Review your printed scrip and scrip information packet.

  • Verify that the printed scrip agrees exactly with your order form.
  • Sign receipt of the scrip order.

5. Secure your scrip.

  • Log your scrip by trial name and serial number.
  • Scrip is like cash, so be sure to keep scrip in a locked receptacle or safe.
    • Up to $1,000 in a lockable receptacle.
    • From $1,001 to $2,500 in a safe.
    • From $2,501 to $25,000 in a steel-door safe, with a door thickness of not less than 1 inch and wall thickness of not less than ½ inch. 
    • From $25,001 to $250,000 in a class TL-15 composite safe or better. 

6. Distribute scrip to trial participants.

  • Tell participants they may cash scrip at these locations:
    • UCSD Medical Center Cashier's Office, first floor (map)
    • Central Cashier (map)
    • Wells Fargo Bank (San Diego County branches only)
    Note: Scrip expires 365 days from the date of issuance.
    Scrip should only be cashed by trial participants. It is a violation of policy for UCSD employees to cash scrip on behalf of participants.
  • For a confidential study, ask the participant to sign a receipt that is retained in a secure location at the department.
  • For a non-confidential study, maintain a Scrip Issue Log (Excel) (PDF) that the participant signs.
  • If the total annual compensation to a participant is $600 or greater in a calendar year, these amounts are subject to federal tax reporting requirements. Amounts earned of $600 or more will be reported on IRS form 1099-Misc. Refer to UCOP policy regarding Payments Subject to Tax or Information Reporting.
  • Complete the Human Subject Compensation Record form (PDF).

Expand all



See also