Note: Travel preauthorization is different from absence approval for academic staff to travel. For academic absence approval, contact the person in your area who handles academic personnel matters.
Preauthorization generates a UC San Diego system-assigned trip number, which must be obtained prior to:
- Purchasing airfare or making other travel arrangements through Connexxus
- Purchasing airfare with an employee-held UC San Diego Travel Card
- Requesting prepayment for travel expenses such as hotel deposit and conference registration
- Note: To use MyTravel to report expenses online after travel has concluded, the travel event must have been preauthorized as required.
Business purpose: For a trip to be preauthorized, it must include a written business purpose. Depending upon the nature of the trip, substantiating documentation such as an agenda, conference brochure/registration, or invitation letter associated with the business reason may be attached to the trip when claiming expenses, but is not required. (Not every business trip will have such documentation.)
The trip number generated will be a unique, 8-digit tracking number that certifies the trip is official UC San Diego business travel and pre-trip payments were authorized. All advances and prepayments for the trip are tracked under the event number.
Access and approval for travel preauthorization relies on the TRP approval template. The person within your area who has the delegated authority to approve travel should be at Level 1. Contact your departmental security administrator for TRP setup.
Insurance coverage: Travelers need to register for any business trip beyond 100 miles of campus or residence. Review Business Travel Accident Insurance.
Preauthorization and your encumbrance ledger: The index(es) and account(s) you indicate when preauthorizing the travel event will be encumbered for the estimated amount of the trip's expenses.
- The encumbrance will be automatically lifted if the same index(es) and account(s) are indicated when you report expenses after travel has been completed.
- If changes to an index(es) and account(s) are made during the reconciliation process causing them to differ from what you preauthorized, the encumbrance can be lifted by using the Encumbrance Lifter or completing an encumbrance adjustment journal.
If you're new to travel at UC San Diego: