Keeping Your Computer Virus-Free
November 6, 2012 11:14:04 AM PST
Use these guidelines to keep your system free of viruses.
- If you suspect you have a virus, contact your department computer/ technical support person.
- For rechargeable technical support, contact ACMS Desktop Support, (858) 822-0047.
- Never put a disk from an unknown source into your computer.
- Never open an attachment you receive via e-mail, unless you are expecting the attachment from a trusted source.
- Make sure that others who use your computer do not put a disk from an unknown source into your computer or visit a website that could expose your system to a virus.
- If you have a program you'd like to install on your computer, and you aren't 100% sure the new program is virus-free, check with your department's computer/ technical support person before you proceed with installation.
- Use an up-to-date antivirus program, preferably one that also scans for Trojan horse programs. Scan all files coming into your computer.
- Don't use illegal (pirated) copies of software. The program could have a virus or Trojan horse.
- Keep your original software on write-protected disks.
- Back up your files at least once a week — or more often if you don't want to risk losing a week's work. Test your backups to be sure they can be restored.
Contact your departmental computer/ technical support person or ACMS Desktop Support
, (858) 822-0047.