Choosing a cell phone
Before placing your department cell phone order:
- Read How to Choose a Cell Phone.
- Read Cell Phone FAQ.
- Visit local cell phone suppliers to select a phone and plan, or visit a supplier's website (see below).
Note: UC San Diego is not authorized to carry cell phones in the store, due to government contract pricing agreements with cell phone providers.
Ordering a mobile device
To place an order, read How to Order Cell Phones. Most orders take 3–5 business days.
Please note that ACT processes orders and responds to e-mail and voicemail during business hours of Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; we are closed on weekends and campus holidays. If you place an order after these hours, during weekends or holidays, you will be contacted during the next business day that the office is open.
You can order cell phones on a recharge basis from several different providers. Click the links below to contact customer service representatives, link to provider websites, and learn about any UCSD special offers:
To request new cell phone activations, disconnect cell phones, order/upgrade equipment and accessories, and plan/feature changes, please submit this request form. For questions regarding any of these, please contact ACT.
Upgrading your mobile device
Please note that most vendors adhere to a one-year equipment upgrade eligibility policy in order to receive discounts; if you are not upgrade eligible, you may be charged the full retail price of the device. To find out what your eligibility date is, contact ACT.
Early cancellation: we are currently not charged early termination fees per our contracts with the providers. This is subject to change in the future.
Cell phone billing
ACT (Administrative Computing and Telecommunications) maintains all cell phone billing responsibilities for departments that choose to have their bills recharged. These services include maintaining all billing records, providing/forwarding monthly cellular statements to FinancialLink/departments of record, and making index changes.
- For billing questions, please contact ACT.
- For index changes, please submit an online Customer Service Request (CSR).
Using cell phones
UCSD follows the university-wide guidelines (PDF) for appropriate use of cell phones and other portable electronic devices outside of the workplace. Also see Using UCSD Cell Phones and Using Cell Phones for UCSD Business.
- Cell phones for personal use: Most providers offer UCSD employees discounts for personal purchases. For specific information contact the sales person directly. You can find their contact information on the websites listed above.
International serviceInternational service varies widely among providers. Voice, data, and text messaging usage while traveling outside the U.S. incur roaming and often high pay-per-use fees. Make sure to ask providers about international features and rates before traveling. Use the links above to contact sales representatives for the latest information.
Help after purchase
- For help with setting up your cell phone, please contact your individual IT team in your departments.
- To get help with troubleshooting technical issues with your device, please contact the providers using the links provided above.
- For all other questions such as recharges/billing, reporting a lost device, please contact ACT.
- Please note that ACT processes orders and responds to e-mail and voicemail during business hours of Monday through Friday (closed weekends and campus holidays) from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. If you place an order after these hours, during weekends or holidays, you will be contacted during the next business day that the office is open.
- You may find some useful information posted on Cell Phone FAQ.