Using Cell Phones for UCSD Business
November 8, 2011 11:57:14 AM PST
Read the guidelines for the appropriate use of personal and UCSD-issued cell phones.
In the right place? See guidelines for purchasing a cell phone with special features, such as a PDA or iPhone.
UCSD-provided cell phones
Departments can provide cell phones to employees for UCSD business. Department heads base their decisions on factors that include an employee's:
- Frequency and duration of business travel
- Need to conduct business from off-site or remote locations
- Need for contact in emergencies or outside typical work hours
- Frequency of telecommuting
If a UCSD-provided cell phone is required for business purposes, the preferred method is to purchase the phone and service plan through UCSD. See How to Order Cell Phones for specific procedures.
The Express Card can also be used to purchase a UCSD business cell phone through an outside vendor; however, the service plan for the phone must be billed to UCSD.
- If you use the UCSD-provided cell phone for personal use, limit this to "incidental" use.
- You must reimburse UCSD for any personal calls that result in noticeable incremental charges.
- Avoid using the equipment under any circumstances when use might create or appear to create a hazard, including use while operating a motor vehicle. The new California law will not affect the University cell phone policy.
- You can use the Express Card to pay for monthly service charges if you didn't purchase the phone through UCSD.
For more information about records retention and responsibilities related to university-owned cell phones, see Using UCSD Cell Phones, PDAs, and Laptops.
Personal cell phones
If you use your own phone for UCSD business, you may be able to be reimbursed for business calls or data service. Follow these guidelines:
- Phones must be issued in your name.
- You will not be reimbursed for business calls that fall within the regular charges of your calling plan or personal rollover minutes.
- You will not be reimbursed for personal calls that exceed your contract limit.
- You will not be reimbursed for cell phone insurance.
- You can request reimbursement for business calls that result in charges beyond your regular calling plan.
- You can be reimbursed for data services (messaging/ texting) only if it's more cost-effective than having UCSD issue a data-only device in your name. (Departments must indicate that texting is a business requirement on the reimbursement request.)
If you have met the above criteria, request reimbursement by submitting a payment authorization, along with an itemized statement identifying each business call.
If using electronic equipment and/or services for UCSD business, you must complete an Employee Agreement (PDF).
Note: The above information supports the UC-wide requirement for issuing and using cell phones for university business. Your department might have more restrictive guidelines, so please check with your business office.