Wireless Services Guidelines
Last Updated: February 27, 2014 2:48:54 PM PST
Read about UCSD's wireless services guidelines.
UCSD has wireless guidelines pertaining especially to public areas where several campus entities have an interest in similar wireless services.
- General rules: Wireless services are subject to the same rules and standards that govern other communications services at UCSD. In particular, section VIB-E of Policies and Procedures Manual section 135-3 apply to wireless equipment and must be followed.
- Radio interference: Because the wireless network is a system that transmits radio signals and is a shared resource, it's subject to radio communication rules (PDF) concerning interference and shared use.
- Reporting: All wireless equipment must be approved by and registered with Administrative Computing and Telecommunications (ACT).
- (802.11a/b/g/n) Network Standards: To successfully deploy an 802.11a/b/g network, all equipment operating in the 2.4 and 5 GHz spectrum must be carefully installed and configured in coordination with ACT.
For more information:
- Access, password, and computer configuration questions: Contact the ACT Help Desk, (858) 534-1853, or visit the combined ACMS/ ACT Help Desk at AP&M 1313 (map), 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., weekdays.
- Requests for departmental installation and repair of wireless networks: Complete a Customer Service Request (CSR), and choose wireless from the Select A Service menu.
- Specific departmental wireless networks: Contact the corresponding system administrators.