Setting Up Out-of-Office Messages on Outlook Web Access
Last Updated: April 7, 2014 8:20:26 AM PDT
Learn how to set up and modify your automatic out-of-office e-mail response on Outlook Web Access (OWA).
These instructions pertain to e-mail accounts hosted on the central mail server, mail.ucsd.edu. If you don't know your server or use a different one, contact your department's system administrator or the ACT Help Desk.
Activate your out-of-office message
- Log in to OWA with your Active Directory (AD) username and password.
- Your username is usually the first part of your e-mail address before the @ symbol (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If you forget your AD password, you can reset it.
- Open the Options menu in the top right corner of the page and click Set Automatic Replies.
- Select Send automatic replies and check Send replies only during this time period.
- Select a Start time and an End time. Your message automatically turns on and off with the assigned dates.
- Enter your message in the text field.
- Click Save in the upper left corner next to the Mail icon. Both internal and external users receive this auto-reply.
- If you don't want external users to receive the message, uncheck Send automatic reply messages to senders outside my organization and save again.
Create a custom message
- Select Send automatic reply messages to senders outside my organization.
- Select either Send replies only to senders in my Contacts list or Send replies to all external senders
- Enter a customized message in the text field.
- Click on Save in the upper left corner next to the Mail icon.
Modify your message
- Log in to the Out of Office Assistant as outlined above.
- Modify the dates or message as needed.
- Click on Save in the bottom right corner next to the green check mark.
Note: this page has a friendly link that's easy to remember: http://blink.ucsd.edu/go/outofofficeweb