Cleaning Up your Mailbox - Outlook 2011 for Macintosh
Last Updated: April 29, 2016 3:49:17 PM PDT
Learn how to clean up your Outlook 2011 mailbox for better performance and to ensure you do not exceed your allocated server space.
- This documentation will assist you in setting up a rule to move messages over 6 months old from your mailbox hosted on the Exchange server to a mailbox on your local computer. Please keep in mind archived messages will not be viewable through Outlook Web Access because they are no longer stored on the Exchange server.
- In the main Outlook 2011 window, click on the Tools menu and select Rules.
- Select Exchange on the left side, under On My Computer and then click the '+' to add a new rule
- Change your settings to match the picture below or your own preferences.
- To manually run the rule now, go to the Message menu and click on Rules and then click on your rule.
- There will be a folder underneath your Inbox called On My Computer where you will find your archived items.
- To empty out your Deleted Items folder, either do a control + right mouse click or right click on the Deleted Items folder and click on Empty Folder.
- To set Outlook 2011 to empty your Deleted Items folder on exit:
- Go to the Tools menu and click on Run Schedule and then click Edit Schedules.
- Double-click on Empty Deleted Items Folder
- Under the When section, change Manually to On Quit