How to Access Newsgroups: Netscape 6.x & 7.x (Mac OS or Win 2000, XP)
June 6, 2013 4:59:09 PM PDT
Use this step-by-step guide to access and subscribe to newsgroups using Netscape 6.x and 7.x (Macintosh OS or Windows 2000, XP).
Note: Internet newsgroups are accessed through the UCSD USENet news server. To use the UCSD news service, you need to connect to the Internet through the UCSD network via an on-campus ethernet connection or the UCSD VPN service.
- Open Netscape Communicator.
- Select Mail or Mail & Newsgroups from the "Tasks" or "Window" pull-down menu.
- In the "Mail" or "Mail & Newsgroups" window, select Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings from the "Edit" pull-down menu.
- Click New or Add Account. Select Newsgroup and click Next.
- Verify that the Identity Information is correct, then click Next.
- For "Server Name," type news.ucsd.edu and click Next. Click Next again, then click Finish.
- Select Subscribe from the "File" pull-down menu.
- If you have never subscribed to a newsgroup before, Netscape will download a list of available newsgroups. Select a newsgroup from the list, then click Subscribe.
- If a newsgroup appears as a folder, select it, then click Expand. You can then select from the sub-category listing of newsgroups and click Subscribe.
- On a Mac, click the newsgroup so that either a minus sign or an arrow pointing down appears. You can then select from the sub-category listing of newsgroups and click Subscribe.
Note: To search for a specific newsgroup, type a word or part of a newsgroup name in the "Newsgroup" box.