How to Apply for the Student Affairs Staff Development Fund
October 24, 2013 1:00:45 PM PDT
Learn how to apply for the Student Affairs Staff Development Fund.
Student Affairs staff development funds can help you expand your knowledge and capabilities, learn new skills, and further your career in Student Affairs and beyond. Use your award to attend a conference or seminar, take a class, plan and host a team development event, or participate in another professional development activity.
- Individual awards: $500 per person per fiscal year
- Group/ team awards: $1,000 per group
- You must be a staff member with Career status under the Vice Chancellor — Student Affairs.
- Your most recent performance evaluation rating must be "meets expectations" or better.
- Make sure your activity meets the criteria for funding. Think about how the activity:
- Enhances your effectiveness, skills, and productivity in your current role
- Supports and improves your career advancement prospects
- Improves services to students
- Be prepared to pay for the entire cost of the activity if your application is not approved (or ask your supervisor if your unit can cover the cost).
- Review the Staff Development Fund Guidelines before you apply.
- Funds must be requested and approved in the quarter prior to the proposed activity. For activities starting between:
- April 1 and June 30, the submission deadline is March 1.
- July 1 and Sept. 30, the submission deadline is June 1.
- Oct. 1 and Dec. 30, the submission deadline is Sept. 1.
- Jan. 1 and March 31, the submission deadline is Dec. 1.
- E-mail the completed form to your supervisor as an e-mail attachment.
- The VCSA office prefers electronic signatures using Adobe Acrobat (learn more about how these work). If you're unable to sign the form electronically, you may e-mail your endorsement or print the form and sign a hard copy.
- Make sure your supervisor approves and signs the form, and e-mails a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Confirm that your unit head has submitted the approved electronic form to the Staff Development Fund coordinator.
- Ask your business officer for help with the reimbursement process.
- Send all supporting documentation to the Student Affairs Staff Development Fund coordinator or Mail Code 0067, including:
- A copy of your award letter
- Ledgers, registration documents, travel vouchers, receipts
- Transcripts (if applicable)
- Review the Staff Development Fund Guidelines for more details regarding eligible costs and reimbursement procedures.
Note: This page has a friendly link that's easy to remember: http://blink.ucsd.edu/go/vcsastaffdevfund