Be prepared to help yourself and others as a trained member of UCSD's Campus Emergency Response Team (CERT). Membership is open to students, faculty, and staff.
Completion of one 3-day CERT Academy is required to become eligible for the UCSD Campus Emergency Response Team.
UCSD has approved paid time for staff to participate in CERT training if the absence does not infringe on the performance of essential job functions. Paid time for CERT training is subject to approval in advance by the supervisor. The 25-hour volunteer training covers basic emergency response and organizational skills, including how to:
- Prepare in advance to respond and cope
- Provide immediate assistance to victims
- Organize spontaneous volunteers who have not had training
- Collect disaster intelligence to assist professional responders
How to get training
CERT Academy training is offered on-campus several times a year (see dates below). Or, you may choose a community or city-sponsored CERT training in your neighborhood.
On-campus CERT Academy training
- Session 1: September 6 – 8, 2017 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Session 2: September 20 – 22, 2017 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Session 3: September 27 – 29, 2017 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Initial CERT training takes 3 full days. Lunch is provided.
Location: Campus Services Complex, Building D (Find it on UCSD's MapLink.)
- Register for the Campus Emergency Response Team (CERT) Academy on UC Learning Center.
CERT members, improve your skills with one of the following half-day CERT Refresher Trainings.
April 25, 2017
- Session 1: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Session 2: 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Lunch: 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. (Optional: All session participants are invited to lunch)
Location: EH&S Training Room, University Center Building 401, corner of Myers Drive & Rupertus Lane. (Find it on UCSD's MapLink.)
- Register for the Campus Emergency Response Team (CERT) Refresher on UC Learning Center.
Contact your local fire department or check the list of San Diego County CERTs to locate a city-sponsored CERT program near you.
Got training? Join The UC San Diego CERT Program
After you complete CERT training, you may become a member of UCSD's CERT program. To join, contact EH&S Emergency Services, (858) 246-0695.
As a UCSD CERT member, you will:
- Receive a certificate for your employee file
- Get a UCSD CERT emergency backpack with emergency supplies
- Be invited to participate in campus CERT exercises
UCSD - CERT Volunteer Opportunities
Graduates of CERT training maintain and expand their skills by participating in additional exercises, refresher training, and campus drills. Members can also volunteer for projects to help improve community preparedness.
- Contact the CERT coordinator for more information.