UC Learning Center offers 2 courses for Safety Coordinators :
New Department Safety Coordinator (DSC) Orientation
Recommended for new and continuing department safety coordinators and supervisors. This course acquaints DSCs and supervisors with all areas of Environment, Health, & Safety: contacts, resources, policies, hazardous material business plan, emergency preparedness, and safety specialties.
How to get the training:
Department Safety Coordinator Training
Highly recommended for increased knowledge of the role of Department Safety Coordinator. Hosted and facilitated by Environment, Health, & Safety staff, these on-going sessions provide attendees with a clear understanding of the role of the DSC, professional development, and a collegial atmosphere that encourages the sharing of workplace health and safety challenges and successes.
How to get the training:
Staff Education and Development Certificate Programs
Want to go further? Read about the Staff Education & Development Certificate Program for Department Safety Coordinators.
Organize emergency preparedness for your department.
- Get emergency preparedness training.
- Organize an emergency preparedness planning committee for your department.
- Prepare a Department Emergency Action Plan.
- Review UCSD emergency preparedness and response procedures from chemical spills in the laboratory, to possible building evacuation, to a campuswide event.
- Encourage everyone to register for emergency notifications.
- Quake-safe your workplace: Read Reducing Workplace Earthquake Hazards.
- Check the UCSD Emergency Status page in the event of an emergency affecting the campus.
- Find more resources on Emergency Preparedness.
Questions? Contact Continuity & Emergency Services, (858) 534-1064 or 534-3823.
Learn about injury and illness reporting and UCSD's Workers' Compensation Program.
Questions? Contact the EH&S Workers' Compensation Office, (858) 822-2979.
Make sure everyone (including yourself) attends required safety training.
- Document all safety training.
- Read About Safety Training for information about record keeping requirements and accessing UCSD's online safety training records.
- Implement the Hazard Communication Program in your department.
- Teach employees who work with hazardous materials how to access and use Safety Data Sheets (formerly called Material Safety Data Sheets):
- Adapt any of these safety training logs and calendars, developed by other safety coordinators, to suit your needs: (All files are Word.)
Questions? Contact the EH&S Safety Training Manager.
All archived Safety Coordinator presentations are PowerPoint files. These large files may take a few moments to open.
- Laboratory Safety Program at UC (PPT), October 2012
- Risk Management: A Blink-based Information Resources (PPT), February 2012
- DSC Training: Fire & Life Safety Overview (PPT), January 2012
- Novel H1N1 Flu at UCSD (PPT), Sawtelle and Wong, UCSD Biosafety, August 2009
- DSO DSC ASC: What Is in an Acronym? (PPT), Spring 2008
- DSC Training (PPT), Spring 2007
- DSC Training (PPT), Winter 2005
- DSC Training (PPT), Summer 2005
- DSC Training (PPT), Summer 2004