Minors in UCSD Laboratories
February 28, 2013 3:19:49 PM PST
Principal investigators, read the requirements you must follow if you permit minors to work in your laboratories.
Attention principal investigators: If you permit minors (under 18 years of age) to carry out research activities in your laboratory, you must obtain authorization and observe specific restrictions and procedures.
You are responsible for safety in your laboratory and may choose to further restrict or prohibit minors from performing research there.
Restrictions by age group
- Minors under the age of 12 are not allowed in UCSD laboratories.
- Minors under the age of 18 are not allowed in UCSD vivaria.
- Minors between the ages of 12 and 18 are allowed in UCSD laboratories under these conditions:
- They have written consent from their parent(s) or guardian.
- They are at all times under the direct supervision of a qualified adult designated for this responsibility
Othe facility-specific age restrictions may apply. See Requirements for Minors Performing Research for details.
Students affected by these requirements
These requirements do not apply to students enrolled in courses with laboratory components listed in the UCSD General Catalog or UCSD Extension Catalog.
All other minors are subject to these requirements, including:
- Students working on science fair projects
- Students involved in any of UCSD’s educational outreach programs
Note: This page has a friendly link that's easy to remember: http://blink.ucsd.edu/go/minorsinlabs