The California Bloodborne Pathogens Standard requires use of syringes with engineering controls (needleless systems) that isolate or remove the bloodborne pathogens hazard from the workplace.
Follow these requirements for documentation, engineered sharps protection, and training:
- Complete an Exposure Control Plan and send it to Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S):
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Mail Code: 0091
- Fax: (858) 534-1510
Engineered sharps protection
Use engineered sharps protection for any of the following:
- Withdrawal of body fluids after initial venous or arterial access is established
- Administration of medication or fluids
- Any procedure involving the potential for an exposure incident (manipulation of human blood, blood products, tissues, or cell lines using a syringe, or any injection of these materials into animals, etc.)
See Engineered Sharps Vendors for equipment sources.
All personnel working with these materials must receive the following training:
- Instruction on the specific hazards associated with the work
- Use of personal protection equipment, safety practices, and behaviors
- Biosafety: Bloodborne Pathogens Training and Annual Refresher
To learn about exceptions to the engineered sharps protection requirement, contact EH&S Biosafety, (858) 534-5366.