Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Team
August 27, 2013 9:34:32 AM PDT
Learn about UC San Diego's Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Team.
UCSD's Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Team cleans up spills that are too large or too dangerous for workers to handle.
Activate the UCSD Haz Mat Team
- During business hours, call Environment, Health & Safety:
- After business hours, call UCSD Police:
- From a land line: 9-1-1
- From a cell phone: (858) 534-HELP(4357)
Contact the UCSD Haz Mat Team when:
- There is an immediate hazard (fire, explosion, chemical exposure, etc.)
- There is an unplanned actual or suspected release or disturbance of hazardous materials (asbestos, chemical, biological, radioactive, etc.)
- There is a spill to the environment (oil spill on the roadway, sewage, etc.)
Laboratory workers can handle small, incidental spills on their own.
Notice: Disposal of hazardous waste using sinks, intentional evaporation, or as regular trash is against
the law. Campus laboratories must abide by strict state and federal waste disposal requirements.
You may be held liable for violations of applicable laws.