How to Use Turnitin
Last Updated: April 29, 2014 10:51:48 AM PDT
Learn about turnitin.com and how you can use the service to detect plagiarism and promote academic integrity in the classroom.
is plagiarism-detection software that compares a student's assignment to every document in its database (which includes all previously submitted papers) and on the Internet.
- You can use Turnitin to check lab reports, essays, research papers, or any written assignment.
- By using this tool, you'll reduce the amount of "detective" work you conduct.
- Turnitin ensures fairness and equity in plagiarism allegations, because every paper is checked, not just suspicious papers.
- Learn how to log in and use Turnitin at UCSD.
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for technical assistance.
- You can have students submit papers directly to turnitin.com OR, if you are using TED, you can create turnitin assignments directly in TED (the latter is recommended by IWDC)
Include the following statement in your syllabus:
- Show students a sample Turnitin report to educate them on citation and attribution.
- Ensure students have adequate understanding of citation and attribution practices.