Faculty, staff, and students who live off-campus and don't hold an annual, quarterly, or monthly parking permit can participate by purchasing a monthly pass for the bus, trolley, or Coaster.
Note: Extension students are not eligible.
- Enjoy discount transit passes: UCSD partially subsidizes the cost of monthly passes for faculty, staff, and students (except Extension students).
- Park free when necessary: A complimentary Occasional Use permit allows 10 days of parking per quarter.
- Emergency rides home: Register in advance for Guaranteed Ride Home, a SANDAG program that provides rides in case of illness, unscheduled overtime, or family emergencies. Registered users, dial 511 when you need a ride.
- Drive shared vehicles with Zipcar (when you meet eligibility requirements).
Incentives have been extended through summer 2014. Read below for guidelines or contact Commute Solutions with questions.
Transit/ Coaster Club registration is free. Eligible members are responsible for paying these discounted fees, which are subject to change:
- MTS regional monthly pass (unlimited bus and trolley travel, excluding Premium Express and rural routes)
- Faculty and staff (with payroll deduction): $44
- Senior/ Disabled/ Medicare monthly pass*: Free
- MTS regional monthly pass, with premium express: $70
- Coaster monthly passes:
- 2 zones: $111 (full price, $150)
- 3 zones: $127 (full price, $165)
- Senior/ Disabled: $23.50 (full price, $41.25) All zones*
*Must present proof of status to receive this pass. Must be 60 or older to qualify for senior rate.
- To change or cancel the automatic payroll deduction, submit a new authorization form by the 15th of the month before the change is to be effective to ensure adequate time to cancel payroll deductions.
- To change the vehicle(s) associated with your Occasional Use permit, bring your vehicle registration to the campus or Hillcrest parking office.
- Temporary suspensions require both a cancellation and a new request, submitted by the 15th of the month when changes should be effective.
- There are no refunds on Compass Cards. Lost or damaged cards incur a $15 replacement fee.
For all other changes, contact Commute Solutions, (858) 534-7433.
Occasional Use permits issued by Commute Solutions:
- Are used in the same way as those purchased from the parking office. Review How to Display Your Parking Permit.
- Are nontransferable. Only the member who is issued the permit can use it. The permit cannot be shared, sold, or given away.
- Are valid in designated spaces. For accepted spaces, read Where and When to Park.
- Allow parking for the vehicle(s) officially documented on the permit only. To add a vehicle, bring your registration to Commute Solutions.
- Expire at the end of each quarter with no carryover of unused parking
Note: Violation of these policies may result in:
- Parking citations
- 6-month suspension from the Transit/ Coaster Club
- Ineligibility to participate in any Commute Solutions program for up to 6 months