Any faculty, staff, or student who lives off-campus and doesn’t hold a limited or annual parking permit may participate in the Pedal Club.
Once you join the Pedal Club, you can enjoy these benefits:
- Park free when necessary: Eligible members will get an Occasional Use permit with 10 complimentary days of parking per quarter.
- Maintenance discount: The UCSD Bike Shop discounts accessories, parts, and labor by 10%.
- Free shower access (without needing a recreation card): Bring your valid Campus Card to the main gym or Canyonview pool and identify yourself as a Pedal Club member. Lockers are available for daily rental.
- Shared vehicle use for free: Pay no Zipcar application fee and receive rental credits (when you meet UCSD eligibility requirements).
- Emergency rides home: Register in advance for Guaranteed Ride Home, a SANDAG program that provides rides in case of illness, unscheduled overtime, or family emergencies. Registered users, dial 511 when you need a ride.
Some limitations apply. Read below for guidelines or contact Commute Solutions with questions about incentives.
As a Pedal Club member, you must:
- Commit to cycling for most of your commutes to UC San Diego
- Register your bicycle with the state of California and maintain a valid registration sticker
Pedal Club registration is free. It costs $6 to register your bicycle with the state of California.
- Register your bicycle at either of the following locations (a $6 registration fee applies — cash or check payable to UC Regents accepted):
- Register for the Pedal Club at either of these locations:
- Bring to Pedal Club registration:
- Valid UCSD ID
- Pink bicycle registration receipt, or
- Bicycle with registration stickers affixed (expiration sticker required)
- Pick up your complimentary Occasional Use parking permit at the campus or Hillcrest parking office. (Undergraduate and Extension students must do so within the first 6 weeks of the quarter.) Bring:
- Valid UCSD ID
- Proof of current vehicle registration for up to 3 vehicles. (Vehicles must be registered to you or a family member at a common address.)
Note: Faculty and staff permits will arrive via campus mail automatically. If you do not have a mail code, your permit will be held for pickup in the parking office. Undergraduate and Extension students must renew their membership every quarter.
Occasional Use permits issued by Commute Solutions
- Are used in the same way as those purchased from the parking office. Review How to Display Your Parking Permit.
- Are nontransferable. Only the member who is issued the permit can use it. The permit cannot be shared, sold, or given away
- Allow parking for the vehicle(s) officially documented on the permit only. To add a vehicle, bring your registration to Commute Solutions.
- Are valid only in spaces and times shown on the permit or listed at Where and When to Park
- Expire at the end of each quarter, with no carryover of unused parking
Note: Violation of these policies may result in:
- Parking citations
- 6-month suspension from the Pedal Club
- Ineligibility to participate in any Commute Solutions programs for up to 6 months