Get Your New Bus Zone Sticker or Pass
The gold-rim metallic stickers with 3/31/2014 expiration date will remain valid through April 15, 2014 but must be replaced with a new sticker or pass as follows:
- Students are eligible for the new gold, secure stickers, valid through July 31, 2014. Note: Stickers will become VOID if peeled; DO NOT remove or reposition.
- Current affiliates who are not faculty or staff are also eligible to receive a new Bus Zone sticker.
- Faculty and staff are pilot testing use of MTS Compass Cards in the UC San Diego Bus Zone at no charge through July 31, 2014.
- Previously issued Compass Cards will automatically be updated; no office visit is required.
- Pilot Compass Cards are valid during active employment status only.
- Stickers and pilot Compass Cards are available at the campus parking office. Hillcrest employees may obtain a pilot Compass Card at the Bachman parking office. UC San Diego photo ID card required.
UCSD Bus Zone
Buses in the UCSD Bus Zone stop on campus or near Hillcrest Medical Center. At this time, eligible UC San Diego community members receive a 100% subsidized UCSD Bus Zone pass as a sticker on their current, valid UC San Diego photo ID card and ride at no charge for unlimited stops on these bus routes only. Faculty and Staff will be taking part in a pilot program to test a Bus Zone pass on MTS Compass Card using smartcard technology.
The university is charged for each ride in the UCSD Bus Zone. Transit pass holders should use their paid passes instead of their Bus Zone pass to board.
Download a map of all UCSD Bus Zone routes (PDF).
Students get unlimited bus and trolley rides for $47 with quarterly bus passes! Purchase passes at Commute Solutions; not available Summer Quarter.
Monthly student pass option available. Extension students are not eligible to purchase subsidized Transit/Coaster passes from UC San Diego.
Routes serving La Jolla campus (follow links for full service information):
- 30: UTC, La Jolla, Pacific Beach, Old Town, downtown San Diego
- 41: VA Hospital, UTC, Clairemont, Fashion Valley
- 101: UTC, Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas, Carlsbad, Oceanside NCTD
- 150: UTC, VA Hospital, Old Town, downtown San Diego
- 201/ 202 SuperLoop: UTC area
- 204 SuperLoop: UTC area, Executive Drive, Judicial Drive, Nobel Drive
- 921: UTC, Mira Mesa
Routes serving Hillcrest Medical Center:
- 3: Hillcrest, downtown San Diego, Euclid Avenue Trolley Station
10: Old Town, Mission Hills, Hillcrest, North Park, City Heights, College Avenue
For travel beyond UCSD Bus Zone routes, see the section below.
Other transit options
UCSD staff, faculty, and students can buy discounted monthly transit passes for trolleys, the Coaster and buses outside the UCSD Bus Zone through the Transit/ Coaster Club.
- San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (MTS), including all city bus routes and trolley
- North County Transit District, including the Breeze bus and Coaster train
- Amtrak: See directions.