All faculty, staff, and students who live off campus can participate in the carpool program. Undergraduates and Extension students must join during the first 6 weeks of the quarter.
- Save time: Carpools use high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes.
- Save money: Share the cost of an annual permit, gas, and vehicle maintenance.
- Park free when necessary: If you sometimes need to drive, an Occasional Use permit allows 10 free days of parking per quarter.
- Park in reserved carpool spaces: Receive a reserved carpool space access sticker when you have 3 or more carpool members.
- Emergency rides home: Register in advance for Guaranteed Ride Home, a SANDAG program that provides rides in case of illness, unscheduled overtime, or family emergencies. Registered users, dial 511 when you need a ride.
- Drive shared vehicles: Pay no Zipcar application fee and receive rental credits (when you meet UCSD eligibility requirements).
Some limitations apply. Read below for guidelines or contact Commute Solutions with questions about your eligibility to receive incentives.
Carpool registration is free. Members decide how to share the cost of the following:
- One required annual parking permit
- Vehicle maintenance
Occasional Use permits issued by Commute Solutions:
- Are not issued to the registered annual permit holder. However, the annual permit holder can register one vehicle on the Occasional Use permit of one fellow carpool member, for use when the permit owner needs to park but cannot carpool.
- Allow parking for the vehicle(s) officially documented on the permit only. To add a vehicle, bring your registration to Commute Solutions.
- Are displayed in the same way as those purchased from the parking office. Review How to Display Your Parking Permit.
- Expire at the end of each quarter, with no carryover of unused parking
- Are nontransferable. A permit cannot be shared, sold, or given away. Only the carpool partners who were issued the permits can use them.
- Are not valid in spaces posted “Reserved for Carpool.” For accepted spaces, read your permit or Where and When to Park.