Resources for Bicyclists
June 3, 2013 2:22:43 PM PDT
Learn about incentives and resources to help you commute safely by bike to UCSD.
UCSD Bicycle and Pedestrian Planning Study
Download and view the 2012 Bicycle and Pedestrian Master Planning Study
Bicycle helmet program
Get a $20 coupon at Commute Solutions in the parking office (hours, map) and bring it with your UCSD ID to the UCSD Bike Shop to receive $20 off a helmet purchase.
UCSD encourages you to bike to campus as an alternative to driving. Bicycling provides exercise, reduces campus parking, and doesn't pollute the environment. Here are resources to help you get around on 2 wheels safely and responsibly:
- 511 San Diego: Traffic conditions, transit information
- MTS page on bikes on buses and trolleys: Includes instructions for loading a bike rack
- SANDAG bicycle and pedestrian page: Projects, committees, and publications related to walking and biking
- Regional bike map: Dedicated bike paths, marked lanes, shared routes, and other bike-friendly features in the county
- Ridelink biking page: Events, safety, lockers, and more
- San Diego County Bicycle Coalition: News, events, classes, and more
- San Diego Street Division Service Request: Report where repairs are needed
- Caltrans Bicycle Program: Bicycle transportation policy, funding, planning, and technical expertise
- California Department of Motor Vehicles Bicycle Rules and Safety
- BicyclingInfo.org: Web-based library of pedestrian and bicycling-related materials and documents
- League of American Bicyclists: Advocacy and support for bike-friendly communities
- Bicycle Street Smarts: Legal and safe bicycling techniques for public roads. Pick up a copy at the Commute Solutions desk in Gilman Parking Structure (map).
- Google Maps offers directions for bicyclists in a select group of cities, including San Diego. Click Get Directions and choose Bicycling from the drop-down menu.
For more information about bicycling at UCSD, contact Commute Solutions
, (858) 534-RIDE (7433).