- After 21 days — The citation is delinquent, the penalty doubles, and you lose your option to appeal.
- After 45 days — The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) places a hold on the vehicle registration and adds $20 to the already doubled penalty.
Multiple unpaid citations
Several unpaid citations can lead to further complications:
- 5 citations unpaid and delinquent — Parking enforcement officers will lock an immobilization boot on your vehicle. You must pay all parking penalties within 24 hours to avoid towing.
- 24 hours after the boot — If the penalties remain unpaid, a local towing company will tow the vehicle off UCSD property. Before they release the vehicle you must pay towing costs, daily vehicle storage fees, and all parking penalties.
- 5 citations at the DMV — Any San Diego or UC police officer can tow the vehicle without warning. Before they release the vehicle you must pay towing costs, daily vehicle storage fees, and all parking penalties.