A more sustainable fleet
UCSD is reducing its reliance on conventional, gas-powered vehicles and capitalizing on new technology to build a more sustainable fleet through the following efforts:
- In 2004, Vehicle Services replaced several older vehicles with the fuel-efficient hybrid Toyota Prius.
- Transportation Services' Shuttle Operations operates 4 compressed natural gas buses and is researching the use of hybrid buses.
- Shuttle Operations also uses cleaner-burning, ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel in its shuttles.
By changing purchasing and maintenance procedures, UCSD's Fleet Services has become a California certified Vehicle Service & Repair Model Shop. Fleet Services has:
- Received free technical training for vehicle services employees and reduced their exposure to hazardous chemicals
- Increased its compliance with environmental regulations by reducing hazardous materials handled and hazardous waste generated
Cost and energy savings
Fleet Services' improved maintenance and repair procedures include:
- Using recap tires on shuttle fleet:
- Requires 30% less energy and 66% less oil to produce than new tires
- Costs 30% to 60% less than new tires
- Using synthetic transmission fluid lengthening shuttle fleet service intervals and decreasing hazardous waste