Last Updated: March 9, 2017 2:21:10 PM PST
UC San Diego Moving Services:
- Coordinates and performs relocation services of office furniture and lab equipment
- Removes and disposes of excess furniture or lab equipment
- Relocates excess furniture, materials or lab equipment to Surplus Sales
- Provides uncrating and set up services of large lab equipment and furniture
- Assembles free-standing and modular furniture
- Provides flags and podiums for UC San Diego events
- Provides official off campus relocation services
Remember: All laboratory equipment must be cleared by Environment, Health & Safety and tagged prior to Moving Services handling the equipment. Contact the Environment, Health, and Safety Office Research Assistance Program (RAP) specialist assigned to your area.
Note: Surplus Sales will not accept delivery of material without a completed Surplus Transfer Request (STR).
*If you need to completely relocate a UC San Diego Office, please review this checklist.
*If you need to close or relocate a UC San Diego Laboratory, please review this checklist.
For Academic and Staff household moves and relocations, see Overview: Move/Transfer Expenses.
To initiate your move request, complete and return the Moving Services Form (PDF).
*If your request is of an urgent nature, contact the Moving Services Coordinator at 858-864-3957.
A department index number is the only form of payment accepted by Moving Services. There is a 1 hour minimum charge for each Moving Services staff performing a service. After the first hour, the charge will be calculated in 30 minute increments.
Hourly Rates: Lab Equipment or Office Furniture Relocation
- $60 per hour, per person: 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- $66 per hour, per person: before 7:30 a.m. or after 4:00 p.m.
Uncrating & Assembling
Moving Services provides the following uncrating and assembly services:
- The uncrating of office furniture or lab equipment
- Assembly of office furniture or lab equipment
- The setup of office furniture or lab equipment
- The removal of existing office furniture and lab equipment
- The disposal or recycle of crating material
Departments have the option of having furniture or equipment uncrated or assembled at the Trade Street warehouse or onsite at the department’s location. The hourly rates listed above will apply to furniture or equipment assembled onsite.
The uncrating and/or assembly price list can be found here.
To review charges against a specific index following a completed move:
- Access FinancialLink
- Click the Reports button on the left of the screen
- On the Reports screen, choose Operating Ledger under the IFIS Core Reports heading.
- Log in
- Choose the desired Accounting Period
- Enter the index number, which you can find on your printed copy of the Moving Service Form
- Click the Submit Form button
- Scroll down to Supplies and Expenses
- Find the following description:
- MATERIAL DIST-MOVING RCHGS
- Find the Moving Service Job Number on your printed copy of the Moving Service Form. Match it to the entry listed on the FinancialLink report, then click the number for a STORE Recharge Statement detailed summary.