Safety measures at Mail Services include:
- Requiring employees to wear name badges
- Limiting access to the Mail Services facility
- Picking up mail from recognized stops only
Reviewing all parcels according to the U.S. Postal Service guidelines (see below)
How you can help
Mail Services suggests several ways UCSD employees can help the effort to guard against suspicious mail.
- Do not hand-deliver mail to Mail Services vehicles or delivery personnel.
Address all outbound mail properly, with a full return address that includes name, department, and mail code.
Suspicious package guidelines
If you receive a suspicious-looking package, call University Police at (858) 534-4357 and follow these guidelines:
- Do not open the package.
- Isolate the package and evacuate the immediate area.
- Do not put the package in water or a confined space such as a drawer or filing cabinet.
- If possible, open windows in the immediate area to help vent potential explosive gases.
- Do not hesitate to call University Police immediately. Do not worry about potential embarrassment. Your concern could save lives.