When addressing international mail, use these USPS recommendations for destination and return addresses.
- Use all capital letters.
- Type or legibly write the address in English.
- Use no more than 5 lines, including:
- Addressee's name
- Street address or P.O. box number
- City or town, principal subdivision such as province, state, or county, and postal code. In some countries, the postal code may precede the city or town.
- Country name
- Sender's name
- Department and phone number
- University of California, San Diego
- 9500 Gilman Dr., Dept. plus Mail Code
- La Jolla, CA 92093 plus Mail Code
JOHN E DOE
SOCIOLOGY DEPARTMENT 534-0000
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SAN DIEGO
9500 GILMAN DR DEPT 0533
LA JOLLA CA 92093-0533
- Important: If your item requires a customs form, the return address on your mail and on the customs form must be identical.
For step-by-step mailing instructions, see How to Send USPS International Mail.