Imprints: Sustainability Matters
Last Updated: October 28, 2015 3:07:56 PM PDT
Imprints print and copy centers offer a number of options that reduce waste and support sustainability.
At Imprints, we’re committed to preserving the planet. In support of UCSD sustainability initiatives, we continually find new ways to reduce waste and encourage recycling.
Watch “Paper Clip: Sustainable Printing Practices at UC San Diego.”
- Business cards are printed on 100% recycled stock.
- 82.3% of our 8.5 x 11 paper is 30% or higher postconsumer waste (PCW).
- We use papers certified by Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC), and other organizations.
- Our copier program supplies only 30% or higher PCW papers.
- Higher percentage PCW paper is available for copiers at an incremental cost.
- We encourage the use of 30%-100% recycled content papers.
- Dry inks in closed containers are non-toxic with a transfer efficiency rate near 100%.
- Alcohols, chlorinated solvents, acids or flammable materials are not used or generated.
- 80% of waste generated can be returned, reused or recycled.
- Compared to a typical offset press, digital printing creates 80% less noise.
- 97% of the components are recyclable or remanufacturable.
- Storing projects for printing on demand reduces paper use.
- Emissions such as ozone, dust, and volatile organic compounds are strictly controlled.
- If caps are missing, tape the opening of empty bottles shut.
- Empty Minolta toner bottles with a ‘chasing arrows’ logo and the number 2 on the bottom belong in blue single-stream recycling bins.
- To recycle Xerox toner bottles:
- For all models except WC20i, place bottles in blue single-stream recycling bins.
- For Xerox model WC20i or for other models on their Take Back list (PDF) when a single-stream bin is unavailable, print a postage-paid return label .
- To recycle four or more toners on the Xerox Take Back list, request a kit of boxes and bags. Xerox pays for postage both ways.
- Throw Xerox waste tanks in the trash.
- Recycle empty HT toner cartridges through STORE.
- Keep waste out of landfills by printing only as many copies as you need, when you need them.
- Print only the sections, pages or chapters you need, instead of printing a whole book.
- Lower overall costs eliminates the need to print larger quantities to get the per unit price down.
- Change, correct or update text for future printings without making unsold inventory obsolete.
- Imprints receives 85%-90% of orders electronically.
- Our goal is 100% paperless ordering.
- PrintConnection online portal allows paperless ordering from your home or office 24/7, eliminating unnecessary trips.
- Imprints employs electronic production tools for production, tracking, timekeeping and report generation.
To send comments, questions, suggestions or to request a free 100% recycled bookmark, e-mail Sandy Ursic
. Include your Mail Code for bookmark requests.