Last Updated: October 28, 2015 2:42:22 PM PDT
Click the links below to learn about the roles of individuals and units who respond to indoor floods.
Note: If the flood occurs in one of the following areas, call one of the numbers provided below:
- Hillcrest Medical Center: Facilities Engineering Help Desk, (619) 543-6454
- Student Housing: Housing Maintenance, (858) 534-2600
- Thornton Hospital: Facilities Engineering Help Desk, (858) 657-6400
If a flood occurs in a laboratory or raises safety concerns, call 534-HELP (534-4357). Campus Police will dispatch an Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S) professional.
- Establishes an emergency contact list
- Sends the list to Facilities Management Service Desk, where it will be kept on file
- Distributes the list to all department staff
- Updates and re-sends the list regularly
- Files a flood claim with Risk Management.
- Calls the Facilities Management help desk, (858) 534-2930
- Notifies their department's emergency contact
If a flood occurs in a laboratory or raises safety concerns, call (858) 534-HELP (534-4357). Campus Police will dispatch an Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S) professional.
- Isolates the flood source and secures the affected area
- If necessary, turns off the water to the building
- Serves as liaison among key emergency responders
If the flood occurs in a lab or involves gray water (overflow from machines, pumps, aquariums, toilet bowls, etc.), EH&S must give clearance before maintenance staff can work in the area.
- Refers to the department’s emergency contact list to notify the department safety officer responsible for the flooded area
- Contacts a Facilities Management project manager to arrange for an outside contractor to perform flood remediation (if a project manager can't be reached, the help desk calls the flood service contractor)
- Contacts EH&S Risk Management, (858) 534-2454, within 48 hours and before damaged or destroyed equipment has been disposed of
- Works with the department's emergency contact to repair and return the flooded area to service
- Communicates with all parties involved to develop and implement a plan to restore the damaged area
- Coordinates maintenance and construction activities to ensure timely completion of work
- Provides regular status reports to the department emergency contact, who shares information with building occupants