Department Buyer: Roles and Responsibilities
October 18, 2013 2:25:04 PM PDT
These guidelines clarify the roles and responsibilities of department buyers.
When purchasing goods and services, two key roles come into play:
Department buyers receive purchasing authority by delegation from the Procurement & Contracts director, who receives authority from the Regents and president of the university. With this authority, department buyers must comply with all applicable federal, state, and university policies and procedures.
Department buyers who violate policy may be subject to disciplinary action including written warnings, mandatory training, loss of purchasing authority, probation, termination, and criminal prosecution.
Examples of activities that violate policy include purchases that:
- Are fraudulent transactions
- Are made by non-authorized employees
- Use unauthorized buying methods i.e. a valid Purchase Order or Express Card is not provided to the supplier at the time of purchase
- Exceed the buyer's authorization
- Consist of restricted goods or services
- Are for personal use or benefit
- Violate policy on employee-vendor relationships
- Involve signing a contract that commits funds for purchase
Department buyers' responsibilities include placing orders by using the following processes:
To ask questions, request a service, or report an issue, contact us through BFSupport
or call us at (858) 534-9494.
This page has a friendly link that's easy to remember: http://blink.ucsd.edu/go/buying/departmentrole