UC San Diego SearchMenu

How to Request a Draft in Foreign Currency

Use these step-by-step instructions to request a draft in foreign currency from Disbursements.

Expand all

1. Verify that the country accepts drafts.

Not all countries will accept a draft. Review the "accepts drafts" section of Foreign Currency Requirements (PDF).

2. Gather information.

Gather the following information:

  • Payee name
  • Payee address
  • Currency type
  • Amount of foreign currency

Note: Euros may be required instead of traditional currencies in countries that participate in the Economic Monetary Union (EMU).

3. Complete the form(s).

  • Complete the Draft Request Form using the information gathered in step 2.
  • Make a copy of pertinent documentation (invoice, order form, travel, etc.) to include when submitting the form.

4. Submit the request AND documentation to Disbursements.

Send the form and supporting documentation through ASK (login required, Category: Invoices, Bills, and Payments; Sub-Category: Wires and Drafts).

Expand all