How to Buy Computer Software
Last Updated: June 2, 2016 12:45:17 PM PDT
Follow the steps on this page to purchase off-the-shelf software for your department.
If you want to contract for custom software, please see Custom Software Overview.
- If your supplier is on campus and you are using the recharge method, proceed to Step 3.
- If your supplier is off campus, or you are not using the recharge method, proceed to Step 4.
- Check with your department's financial administrator to be sure you are authorized to recharge for your department. If you are, obtain the index for the recharge.
- Make sure you are purchasing software from a recharging department, such as UCSD Bookstore or Educational Technology Services, when you place your order.
- Provide the recharging department with the proper accounting information.
- Use Marketplace:
- Use Express Card if:
- You are authorized to use Express Card.
- The cost is less than $4,999, including tax, shipping, and handling.
Notice: Each copy of software used at UCSD must be covered by a license agreement. If you buy packaged software, the license agreement is included. Software obtained in other ways must be covered by a department, campus, or university agreement, or its use is illegal. Exceptions include: shareware (whose use should be registered as specified by the owner), public domain software, and software developed by the University.