The Promotion Project provides up to $1,000 in training funds to UC San Diego departments that promote UC San Diego career employees via reclassification or open recruitment.
The goal of the Promotion Project, a career development program, is to develop and retain UC San Diego staff by creating opportunities for employees to advance at UC San Diego. This goal is achieved through a unique strategy — offering monetary support to the hiring department for the employee's training needs within the first 6 months of the appointment.
Note: Before your department is considered for funding, you must also complete and submit a Training Request Form (PDF).
Promotion Project funds will be earmarked for 6 months only once you are approved. If funds are not used within the 6-month period, they may be forfeited. Please notify the Promotion Project coordinator if there are any changes.
How a department can qualify for funds
- Open a recruitment
- Be willing to hire and train a UC San Diego career candidate.
- UC San Diego career employees who have been promoted or reclassified
- UC San Diego career employee who have completed probationary period
How a department can receive funds
- Hire a UC San Diego employee for a qualifying job opening.
- Submit the Training Request Form (PDF) for approval to the Promotion Project coordinator, Mail Code 0923, within 45 days of being promoted/ reclasssified.
- Upon approval of the training request form, a signed confirmation for training reimbursement of actual expenses up to $1,000 will be sent to the department.
- For reimbursement, submit:
- Evidence of the training activity completion
- A copy of the department's general ledger showing payment for the training activity